Kris and Marty have great points. Also each workload is different, you may or may not get sufficient benefit from it, depending upon your access pattern and hit ratio (which Kris mentioned).

Regarding RECORDMDC, you may want to check the old VSE performance papers by Wolfgang Kraemer, I seem to recall there may have been some resolution to this issue at some point in the past.