Ed,
   MDC is almost always faster than disk cache.  First of all, the system
doesn't have to initiate an I/O on your behalf to fetch data from MDC.  If
it's not in MDC, it does have to do an I/O, even if the data is found in
controller cache.

   If the data happens to be in both MDC and controller cache, the copy in
MDC will be the one that's used.  (It's "nearer" to central storage.)  Also,
if the data is referenced repeatedly and gets hits in MDC, it's likely to
"age out" of the controller cache (no references).

                                        Marty
Martin Zimelis
Principal
maz/Consultancy