Les Koehler wrote:
Because CP looks up abbreviations first. CMS looks up the fully qualified command first.

Unless they changed the rules after I retired.

CP Commands in HCPCOM are pretty much in the form of a table that describes a string, a minimum abbreviation length and the entry point (and the class and some auxiliary stuff).

Basically, I believe HCPCFC (which is OCO.. Yuck !) simply looks at the length of the command passed, verifies it doesn't exceed the length of the command and then does an EX/CLC for the abbreviation for the command to check for a match - which means no difference in processing time between an abbreviation and a fully spelled out command. That how it was done in my time in DMKCFC anyways.

My point it that I strongly believe there is no difference in CP processing time for an abbreviated CP command.

And even for those commands which have different abbreviations than a full command (or rather an abbreviated alias, like MSG vs MESSAGE), it probably amounts to just a few CPU cycles (probably less than 1% of the time just actually spent passing the command down from a VM to CP, etc..)

Compare this to any readability issues - a second over a year of processing time compared to an hour by a human being trying to figure out why it's not the right command being issued !

Now - while we are providing each other advices...

Make sure while passing CP commands that you aren't abbreviating commands (or arguments) based on your CP privileges.

For example : 'CP QUERY DASD' and 'CP QUERY VIRTUAL DASD' has the same effect on a class G virtual machine - but an entirely different meaning on a class B virtual machine !

Same for "QUERY RDR" == "QUERY RDR *" for class G, but not for class D, etc..

--Ivan