On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:49:46 -0500, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com

wrote:

>On Thursday, 03/11/2010 at 06:44 EST, Ivica Brodaric
><ivica.broda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, we will all now suffer a brand new control statement because of yo
u.
>;-)
>
>I don't mind leaving the cent sign as a comment prefix delimiter (not as
>"line delete") for compatibility, but we'll want another standard symbol

>as well (e.g. >) so that the rest of us who don't have the cent sign in
>their code page can use it, too.

Actually, I use it as a suffix.  Here is a real example extracted from a

file built by my automated DDR backup process:

INPUT 181 TAPE ( LEAVE
OUTPUT 6427 DASD VM6427
RESTORE 0 to 3338
************** DASD volume VM6428 spans tape boundary ¢
************** Next tape is VM0154 ¢
INPUT 181 TAPE ( LEAVE
OUTPUT 6428 DASD VM6428
RESTORE 0 to 3338

The "comment" lines were inserted as part of the processing when the firs
tape reached EOV.

If you were inclined to add an official comment syntax to DDR control
files I would suggest using REXX style comments as are also used in SYSTE
CONFIG.  I suppose another choice could be the semi-colon as used by TCPI
P.

Brian Nielsen