On 3/30/10 5:50 PM, "Mike Walter" <mike.wal...@hewitt.com> wrote:

> I can understand "modern computing organizations" being ignorant of
> historical "modern computing environments" such as z/VM -- but the ACM?

Doesn't surprise me at all. The ACM has gotten progressively more myopic wrt
to doing their homework on stuff like this even if the work was published in
*their* journals. I've been campaigning to replace some of the bozos at the
top with some people who actually have a historical background of what
actually happened in the computing field, and who RTFJs they publish rather
than blither about the crap they choose to publish in the current TACM.
An organization supposedly representing the computing industry that is
seriously debating whether *any* hardware course is necessary in the
standard curriculum?

Doomed, I tell you. Doomed.

Check out IEEE Computer. Much more active, and they're actually doing their
homework. Transactions on the History of Computing is a fascinating read,
and you can get it in paper or PDF form. IEEE also does a nifty trick with
RSS feeds to notify you of when new journals are available, click, and it's
on your desktop ready to read. Nice.

-- db