On Wednesday, 05/26/2010 at 10:06 EDT, Bob Atton <bob.j.at...@rrd.com>
wrote:
> We have had a very strange and unusual message today on our z/VM 5.4
system.

> I had a report that our zLinux guests were not accessible (putty, ping,
ssh all
> no good).  I logged on to MAINT OK but soon after when I had issued a
command I
> got the following messages.
>
>  10:29:47  * MSG FROM MAINT   : DMSITM319T Machine check interrupt was
> encountered; MCIC = X'4002AFBD 400B0000 00000000 00000000'

40 = System processing damage
02 = Backed up

That means that the CPU had an error and 'backed up' to the most recent
internal consistent checkpoint, avoiding damage to memory, registers,
timers, or the PSW.  The condition is fatal.

> CMS would not IPL but I could IPL 190.
>
> When I tried to start the zLinux guests they initially failed with the
messages
> above because they IPL CMS but when I IPLed 190 and ran the profile etc
> start linux I saw
>
> HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in check-stop state due to a
system
> malfunction with CPU 00.
>
> After a while we IPLed the VM system and all appears to be OK.

I'm fuzzy on how CPU sparing and recovery work, and I don't know why you
couldn't IPL an NSS.  Certainly you should check the HMC for hardware
messages.  It likely called home.