On Wednesday, 05/26/2010 at 10:06 EDT, Bob Atton <bob.j.at...@rrd.com>
wrote:
> We have had a very strange and unusual message today on our z/VM 5.4
system.

> I had a report that our zLinux guests were not accessible (putty, ping,
ssh all
> no good).  I logged on to MAINT OK but soon after when I had issued a
command I
> got the following messages.
>
>  10:29:47  * MSG FROM MAINT   : DMSITM319T Machine check interrupt was
> encountered; MCIC = X'4002AFBD 400B0000 00000000 00000000'
>  10:29:47  * MSG FROM MAINT   : DMSITM319T Disabled wait entered, please
re-IPL
> CMS.
> HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000A0000 817C009E
>
> CMS would not IPL but I could IPL 190.

D'oh:  One other thing, check the operator's console for paging errors
(paging volume or spool).

> When I tried to start the zLinux guests they initially failed with the
messages
> above because they IPL CMS but when I IPLed 190 and ran the profile etc
> start linux I saw
>
> HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in check-stop state due to a
system
> malfunction with CPU 00.

The machine check above is what you would get if the guest had page 0/1
resident when the paging error occurred.

You can get this if CP cannot page in guest page 0 or 1 in order to store
PSWs and logout data in order to present said machine check.  I do wish CP
was just a tad more specific than simply "system malfunction".