Mark,
I haven't done it, but these look like very similar to the mdisks added to
DATAMOVE, part of DIRMAINT. Are you supposed to leave the volume as $$$$$$?
In DATAMOVE they are not real mindisks, just an entry used by the product.
No real dasd space or SFS space was ever needed by those entries. But I have
no DFSMS experience.
Ron