I'd be surprized thay must be 3380's: DFSMS overrides them dynamically to
match source and target MDISKs when it moves a CMS disk to a new place.
And, at that time it will get the device type, start, and size of the
source/target.

DFSMS was the first to use this trick, it avoids several calls to DIRECTXA,
so improves performance on systems with large directories.  Dirmaint R5
later copied this technique.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support