On Thursday, 05/27/2010 at 01:34 EDT, Mark Pace <mpac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused.
> The DFSMS program directory has a note
> Critical Information
> The 500 & 5FF minidisk must be 3380 dasd.  Emphasis IBM's.
> mdisk 0500 3380 001 001 $$$$$$ MR
> mdisk 0500 3380 001 001 $$$$$$ MR
>
> Yet the sample directory entries provided in VSM221B  PLANINFO have 3390
as the
> devtype.
> mdisk 0500 3390 001 001 $$$$$$ MR
> mdisk 0500 3390 001 001 $$$$$$ MR
>
> Is the program directory incorrect or is the provided sample incorrect?
 Does
> it really matter?

Yes, it matters.  In order for CP to instantiate a minidisk, the vdev type
must match the rdev type.  I suspect that the 'must be 3380' is really
'must be modern ECKD that supports the stuff I need'.

While not relevant in this particular case, the device type on the MDISK
tells DIRECTXA what the highest cylinder number is for that volume
(remembering that the volumes are not necessarily available to DIRECTXA
when it is being run).