On 6/23/10 6:51 PM, "Rich Smrcina" <r...@velocitysoftware.com> wrote:

> On 06/23/2010 05:43 PM, Howard Rifkind wrote:
>>
>> A friend of mine stated that CICS can run native under z/VM with z/OS
>> being present.

There was a CICS/VM about 20 years back that did not require a guest OS,
however it was withdrawn ages ago. There are apocryphal stories that it was
withdrawn because there were fears in IBM that if such a thing existed, it
would somehow hurt CICS sales on the other operating systems.

I still have paper manuals for it, and it was very popular with universities
in the Higher Ed Software Consortium because it was a lot less difficult to
use to teach CICS programming with it, and it was dirt cheap compared to
running a VSE or MVS guest. You also could only crash your own virtual
machine, instead of screwing up everybody's work...

-- db