From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Rich Smrcina
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:58 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

Cross-posted to vse-l and ibmvm.  Sorry for duplications.

I am saddened to announce that today I am shutting down the mainframe at

Grede Foundries in Milwaukee, WI.

Grede was one of the Linux for S/390 poster children when the mainframe
port was first available around Christmas, 1999 from Marist.  There were

a couple attempts to eliminate the mainframe over the years, first with
Peoplesoft; more recently with SAP.  The SAP implementation had a fair
potential of actually being moved to the mainframe (it was sourced
remotely), but wasn't financially feasible.  *NOT* due to hardware or
software requirements, but due to the need to hire local SAP expertise.

I started at Grede in 1996 after their systems programmer moved on. I
left in the fall of 2001 for VM Assist, and supported their VM, VSE and
Linux systems in a consulting role, until today.

After formatting the data on the Shark, VM1 and VM2 will be shut down
for the last time.
--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2011 - April 15-19, 2011 Colorado Springs, CO