I was involved last year with a large SAP implementation in the NYC area. When done right, it can be a good thing. But yes, it does take a fair number of people and a good deal of planning. The System z deployment is saving them (the NYC company) a boatload of money, though.

Their SAP implementation on z is much faster than the one they came from (which I think was Solaris, or maybe AIX).