What I didn't mention in my original message was that the initial part of the SAP implementation was considered ontime and on budget. The plant that was using it was consistently profitable, whereas the others (on the 'mainframe') were generally unprofitable. Unfortunately, rolling out SAP to the other plants was problematic. The plant management was skeptical (regardless of the profitable one), corporate management was not willing to force them to convert. The result? A suddenly long implementation schedule which caused a significant increase in the amount of money being spent. Money that they already couldn't afford.

This (partly) and the economic climate caused them to declare bankruptcy last February (2009), they came out late last year. The new owner is running a foundry system that runs on System i. So there was a mad rush to get a System i in house and learn how to use it, with a decimated and over taxed work force no less. The kicker to this, the application on System i uses 5250 screens, *not* any new GUI or web technology. So they went from mainframe tried-and-true 3270 technology to a dalliance with Peoplesoft and SAP, back to green screen!