Sigh... these youngsters!

History lesson: ON
Completed coding sheets are output from programmers (perhaps their only
valuable output).

After exhaustive "desk checking" (olde English for "a complete and utter
waste of time", since programmer's are always perfect), the coding sheets
were then input to the keypunch department which output punch cards.

The punched cards were then input to computer operators (well, at least
one of their known inputs besides coffee and candy bars and God knows what
else on 3rd shift) who loaded them as input into punch card readers (one
hopes good old 2540's- not those newfangled 3505 optical card readers that
were always jammed by the slightest dust mote, of which card provided
aplenty).

Provided that one of the F1, F2, or BG partitions was open when the
punched cards were read by the punched card reader, and the computer
operator had the appropriate UPSI switches set properly, and had uttered
the correct mystical incantations at the right time, the computer would
process the punched cards into its core memory and execute them as a
program, or supply them for a program's input needs.
History lesson: OFF

Hey... if they had optical card readers, why weren't there any optical
card punches?  Think of all the chaff that could have been saved!  ;-)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Rich Smrcina" <r...@velocitysoftware.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
07/21/2010 12:19 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DISKACNT records

Coding sheets?

What privclass are they protected with?

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2011 - April 15-19, 2011 Colorado Springs, CO

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.