From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:08 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DR Backup using DFDSS

On Thursday, 08/12/2010 at 11:36 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"

<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:

Yes, I knew that the backup would be a ?fuzzy? one but I have not had
an issue
with restoring since I am doing a physical cylinder by cylinder
backup. We do
use FDRUPSTREAM to handle the incremental and full backups of all the
DASD for
each guest, but the DFDSS is a little different.

Not had an issue *yet*, I think you meant to say.  It may simply be
fuzzy, or it may be positively hirsute. Out-of-band backups of dasd, particularly multiple volumes, is a disaster waiting to happen. Multiple volumes compound the risk (think: LVM). Bring the server down, snapshot/flashcopy/whatever all of its volumes, restart the server, then backup the copies. This minimizes down time and ensures a *consistent* backup set. (The real requirement is that the volumes be unmounted, but it's just easier to bring down the server, IMO.) Linux's support for suspend/resume may be able to help with this as well and reduce the length of the outage even more.

But since you're using FDRUpstream for incremental AND full backups, it seems that you only need a functioning Linux with FDRUpstream available,

not a fully restored Linux image.  That is, enough to kick off the
restore from the FDR backups. No point in backing up, storing, and restoring data you're going to throw away anyway.

IMO, of course. As a security person, it's my job to be paranoid. I don't worry about the 95% of the time that it works ok, I worry about the 5% of the time that it doesn't.