On Thursday, 08/12/2010 at 12:38 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:
> Thanks Alan. I would love to be able to shut the guests down while I am
> backing them up but unfortunately this guest was converted over from the
> Solaris side where they never brought the servers down to do backups.
> These guests are suppose to be 24 by 7 up time so whenever you ask to
> bring them down for any reason it's like pulling teeth!
>
> But I get what you are saying!

If you told someone in the distributed world that you had another server
that was going to access a distributed server's LUNs and copy them while
the server was running, you would be laughed at.

It's the same problem, just a different disk technology.

So if you can't ever bring down the server, then your DR strategy has to
be the same as it was when it was on Solaris.  That is, you install a
'starter' Linux and use that to restore your backups.  The only thing that
would be different is the location of the starter Linux.  Forget about DDR
in that context except as (maybe) the source of the starter Linux itself.