Not sure it's quite that simple - I too have had issues using FILE and
IUCVMSG within VMUTIL.   Been awhile but I think the cause stems from this
(HELP WAKEUP):

When FILE is specified, WAKEUP will always stack the line from the file
(or a null line if no line was found) before exiting, even if the cause of
the WAKEUP was not timer expiration. The stacked line has the following
format:

     * recno record-from-file

where recno is the record number of the line in the file, and
record-from-file is as much of the record as will fit on the stack.

As I recall - I would have these entries in the stack, which then had to be
tossed as they weren't 'real' timer entries.

There are some code examples under HELP WAKEUP that might help ...

Scott Rohling