From:   Scott Rohling <scott.rohl...@gmail.com>
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:   09/22/2010 10:04 AM
Subject:        Re: Problems with WAKEUP
Sent by:        The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Another clue from HELP WAKEUP:

Seven WAKEUP options cause data to be stacked: EXT, FILE, IO, IUCVMSG, SMSG, TIME, and VMCF. WAKEUP stacks the data in the following order regardless of the order the options are specified when you invoke WAKEUP: 1. Current date and time 2. Line from the WAKEUP TIMES file, or an asterisk (*) if no line is found 3. An IUCV, SMSG or VMCF message, or EXT or IO interrupt data. Note: In general, the last line stacked by WAKEUP is the one you really want to use, not the first line.

Scott Rohling

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Scott Rohling <scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote: Not sure it's quite that simple - I too have had issues using FILE and IUCVMSG within VMUTIL. Been awhile but I think the cause stems from this (HELP WAKEUP):

When FILE is specified, WAKEUP will always stack the line from the file (or a null line if no line was found) before exiting, even if the cause of the WAKEUP was not timer expiration. The stacked line has the following format: * recno record-from-file where recno is the record number of the line in the file, and record-from-file is as much of the record as will fit on the stack.

As I recall - I would have these entries in the stack, which then had to be tossed as they weren't 'real' timer entries.

There are some code examples under HELP WAKEUP that might help ...

Scott Rohling

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Frank M. Ramaekers <framaek...@ailife.com
Just one ?WAKEUP (SMSG FILE?.   Test the RC to see which interrupted it.
Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
I am fairly new to VM and having some problems with WAKEUP. I have a server that runs a WAKEUP EXEC that uses the FILE parameter. I need to run an additional WAKEUP EXEC that uses the SMSG parameter. My question is can I incorporate the 'WAKEUP (SMSG' in the same FOREVER loop as the other WAKEUP EXEC? I am seeing errors that make me think this will not work this way. Or do I have to create another server to run my other WAKEUP EXEC (i.e. 1 server runs the WAKEUP (FILE and another server runs the WAKEUP (SMSG) ? Thanks in advance,
Mark Workman
Shelter Insurance Companies
573.214.4672
mwork...@shelterinsurance.com This e-mail is intended only for its addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mailing postmas...@shelterinsurance.com; then delete the original message. _____________________________________________________ This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at privacy...@ailife.com.