ty for sharing this.

One question though:

It is ok to apply the maintenance to the production system, Level 1, your
1st step, as long as you do not run PUT2PROD at that time there?

Also I noticed you do not use the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION parm disk fallback,
but just point to the FLASH COPIED disks if there is a problem.

"Frank M. Ramaekers" <framaek...@ailife.com>
09/24/2010 10:26 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

Here’s what I do:

1)                   Apply Maintenance to production system
2)                   Flash production DASD to test packs (using different
naming conventions)
Actually, I have a REXX program I wrote that not only changes the name,
but updates the SYSTEM CONFIG, directory and updates the directory on the
test packs.
3)                   Bring up the 2nd level VM
4)                   Run PUT2PROD on 2nd level
5)                   Test 2nd level

If satisfied with the testing:

1)                   Flash production DASD to backup packs (can be the
same as the test packs, again using a different naming convention)
2)                   PUT2PROD on the production system
3)                   IPL the updated system
4)                   Any problems, I can immediately IPL the “backup”
system (copy prior to PUT2PROD)

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.