If using ADDRESS COMMAND makes a difference, the most common cause is that
you've got a CP EXEC somewhere on a minidisk accessed by AUTOLOG1.
SYNONYMs and SET IMPCP can influence command execution too with ADDRESS CMS
(or PIPE CMS), but occur less often.

You could read lesson 3 in our Telecourse (free, selfstudy):
  http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?TCVM1

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support