I IPLed as Kris suggested:

 Q V CONS#SYSTEM RESET#TERM CONMODE 3270
 IPL 125B LOADPARM CONSnnnn

My cons was 0009.

But it made no difference

I put the commands in the OPERATOR directory but it made no difference.

I put them in the 2d Level Machine directory, VMUVM, itself and it still
made no difference.

I suspect the problem may be that I am running 2d Level.

z/OS has the IMSI (Initialization Message Suppression Indicator).

Set it to "M" and you are off and running.

z/OS IPLs without any operator intervention.

I guess I am looking for something like that in z/VM, but it may not
exist, at least not at Level 2.

But I will try again next week.

Dave Jones <d...@vsoft-software.com>
11/11/2010 04:40 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Streamlining the IPL

Good job, Mike....that explains it. George, the CP commands in the
directory entry will certainly be executed "long" before CMS gets a
chance to IPL and run it's own PROFILE EXEC file. Will the CP commands
get executed before the OPERATOR's console fills up with IPL time
messages, that I don't know.

On 11/11/2010 03:34 PM, George Henke/NYLIC wrote:

> That explains it Mike.
>
> All these instances were before the PROFILE EXEC started which kinda
> defeats the purpose.
>
> I will put the commands in the DIRECTORY with the hope that it will kick
> in earlier, before the PROFILE EXEC starts.
>

> *Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>*
> Sent by: The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
>
> 11/11/2010 04:27 PM
> Please respond to
> The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

>                IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> cc
>
> Subject
>                Re: Streamlining the IPL
>

> Well, George, it's set the way you want it, at that moment in time.
>
> But that's only set once the OPERATOR virtual machine has been
constructed
> in compliance with the CP Directory statements defining its parameters,
it
> has logged on, IPLed CMS, and run through the PROFILE EXEC through the
> point of executing that 'CP TERM HOLD OFF MORE 0 0'.
>
> Sidebar:
> "TERM" is an abbreviation, better to spell out all commands in EXECs
> fully, in this case as: 'CP TERMINAL HOLD OFF MORE 0 0'
> REXX performs marginally better when all commands are quoted,
uppercased,
> and fully spelled out (no abbrevs).
> But mostly, if you do that as a matter of course and ever have to scan
> MDISKs for all references to a particular command, the search is
> dramatically reduced if abbreviations don't have to be scanned for!
>
> I'd try placing the command in the directory entry of "OPERATOR" as
others
> have mentioned before.  That reduces, but does not totally eliminate,
the
> narrow time window between the IPL messages being displayed and OPERATOR
> getting logged on and entering that command.
>
> Would you mind copy/pasting the IPL messages from the very first one
> through where OPERATOR gets logged on, maybe just a little more, too?
>
> And... what model 3270 emulator terminal is being used for OPERATOR?
E.g.

--
Dave Jones
V/Soft Software