Please tell ur laughing friends that GUI, *point and click*, is for people
who can't type.

In the mainframe world and particularly z/VM you not only need to know how
to *type* but also *think* the old shibboleth of IBM, which made it great,
and which George Bernard Shaw claimed occurs among us only once or twice a
year, though he claimed he could think once a week.

GUI is *smoke and mirrors*, dream stuff.

OTOH, Mainframe, *Green Screen*, or whatever is a real operating system
which does the "thinking",  really processing, since computers can't
think, behind the GUI curtain.

Jeff Gribbin <jeff.grib...@gmail.com>
11/23/2010 07:54 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
The old VM/ESA CMS GUI - Does it still live?

Greetings folks,
Some recent discussion brought to mind the old CMS GUI Facility that ship
ped
with VM/ESA 2.1 - and now I'm in a position where I might for the first t
ime
actually be able to configure a z/VM system to allow me to play with the
beast, I got to wondering if it even still exists.

The best I've been able to find in the way of IBM documentation is:

http://www.vm.ibm.com/gui/

I found an interesting reference to a 2004 z/VM GUI project -

http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/cosi/zTeam/zvmgui/

but alas that seems to have since sunk without trace.

So ... a few questions ...

Anybody using it?
Anybody prepared to admit they're using it?
Anybody know if it's still maintained in any current form?

This is purely a personal learning exercise triggered by the aforemention
ed
conversation and my recent exposure to young sysprogs (< 25 years old) wh
tend to love what CP and CMS can do but fall about laughing whenever the
user interface is discussed. All comments gratefully received.

Regards
Jeff