Another possible option that does not involve any extra software or mods
to CP is to use the CMS Fullscreen session services (SET FULLSCREEN ON).

I have it customized here to show my user id and node name on the top
line, like so:
 Friday 17 Dec 2010 (10351)     CMS             d...@vsfzvm54

No fuss, no muss....:-)

Happy Holidays.