Yeah, ty Alan and Mike, really sorry for missing the obvious.

Too much ZOS without a helmet.

Please ignore my last email.

The 3215 console is, of course, for CMS.

Our console is defined correctly as 3270:

'cp sleep 5 sec'
"CP DET 01E""CP DEF CON 440 3270""CP SET MACH ESA""CP I" ADDRESS "LOADPARM
||SYSNAME||"M"
'cp sleep 1 MIN'

We are, however, using CF:

The only SPECIALs in the z/OS guest are:

SPECIAL 420 MSGP CFSRV04
SPECIAL 424 MSGP CFSRV01
SPECIAL 428 MSGP CFSRV05

It is not SuperSession because I can access both ways directly from RUMBA.

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
01/06/2011 04:01 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ZOS Guest Console Not Working

No, you want to leave the CONSOLE statement alone.  That's for VMS to use
as a 3215.

If you want z/OS to use the same device address as its console, before the

CP IPL command, enter:
CP TERM CONSOLE 3270
then enter the IPL command.

Or, write an EXEC with the commands concatenated with a "LineEnd" (hex
'15') character in between, ala:
     parse value diag(08,'CP QUERY VIRTUAL CONSOLE') with ,
                      . 'TERM ' . contype .
     If contype='VSM'
        then brkkey=''      /* BRKKEY not supported on SNA terminals */
        else brkkey='#CP TERMINAL BRKKEY PF13'
     iplcmds=,
        '#CP M * IPLing z/OS'        || ,
        '#CP M OP IPLing z/OS'       || ,
        '#CP M MAINT IPLing z/OS'    || ,
        '#CP Q T'                    || ,
        '#CP TERM CON 3270'          || ,
         brkkey                      || ,
        '#CP IPL' loadaddr loadparms
 'CP SET PF24 DELAY' iplcmds
 'CP QUERY PF24'
Exit

If you are using a virtual coupling facility, I can send a much more
fool-proof IPLZOS EXEC which first checks for z/OS's CFRM volumes being
online, and that the virtual Coupling Faclity servers are active before
continuing.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"George Henke/NYLIC" <george_he...@newyorklife.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
01/06/2011 02:51 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ZOS Guest Console Not Working

tyvm, all.

Looks like console is defined as 3215

Guess this has not been working for some time and just noticed now.

I suppose I can just change this to 3270 and all will be well.

PROFILE MVSID
* OPTION TODENABLE
OPTION TODEN
SHARE RELATIVE 100 LIMITSOFT
MACHINE ESA 4
IPL CMS
CONSOLE 01E 3215
*

"McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
01/06/2011 03:42 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ZOS Guest Console Not Working

I'm not a z/VM person. I'm a z/OS sysprog. I don't know how SuperSession
works. A z/OS console is not BTAM, per se, a z/OS console is usually
associated with a local non-SNA 3270 device. Note that the z/VM DIAL
command (which is what I am used to) presents a 3270, however connected to

z/VM, as a local non-SNA 3270. If this is the 3270 where you did a LOGON
to start up the z/OS guest, then the console is likely in CONMODE 3215.
That is the very old style printer keyboard console. z/OS does not support

3215 consoles any more at all. In this case, before IPL'ing z/OS, enter
the command #CP CONMODE 3270 to set the console mode to 3270. If your z/OS

guest first IPLs CMS (as many do), this will "blow away" CMS. And you'll
need to enter the IPL nnnn command where "nnnn" is the virtual address of
the z/OS IPL volume by hand.

Another possibility is that the CONSOLnn member of PARMLIB is messed up.
Make sure that the CONSOLE statements either don't specify the USE
parameter or it is set to USE(FC). USE(MS) and USE(SD) won't work right
for a normal console.

Hope this was of at least some help. I only use z/VM when we do a D.R.
test.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 ? N. Richland Hills ? TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone ?
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com ? www.HealthMarkets.com

proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
message. HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and
issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. ?The
Chesapeake Life Insurance Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance
Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM