ty all:

I just forced the guest ZOS and XAUTOLOGed it and it came up fine.

I disconnected via PA1 and reconnected np.

Earlier today someone disconnected by hitting ATTN twice and got the weird
console display when they reconnected.

Could that have caused the problem?

They claim that is how they always DISC..

Everything appears to be defined correctly.

Here are some more console definitions from the ZOS guest side:

CONSOLE DEVNUM(440),UNIT(3270-X),AUTH(MASTER),USE(FC),
              ALTGRP(ALTMSTR),ROUTCODE(1,2,9),MSCOPE(SY&SYSCLONE.),
              SEG(19),DEL(R),AREA(NONE),NAME(MSTR&SYSCLONE.),
              RNUM(19),MFORM(J,T),PFKTAB(PFK00),MONITOR(JOBNAMES-T)

CNZ4100I        16.42.18 CONSOLE DISPLAY 101
CONSOLES MATCHING COMMAND: D C
MSG:CURR=0    LIM=5000 RPLY:CURR=1    LIM=99    SYS=SY79     PFK=00
HARDCOPY  LOG=(SYSLOG)          CMDLEVEL=CMDS
      ROUT=(1-10,12-128)
MSTR79    TYPE=MCS      STATUS=ACT-SY79
          DEFINED=(*ALL)
          MATCHED=(*ALL)
   ATTRIBUTES ON SY79
      AUTH=(MASTER)    CMDSYS=*            NBUF=0
      DEV=0440         LOGON=OPTIONAL      USERID=N/A
      MFORM=(T,J)      AREA=(Z)            PFKTAB=PFK00
      USE=FC  DEL=R    RTME=*    RNUM=19   SEG=19    CON=N
      LEVEL=(ALL)
      MONITOR=(JOBNAMES)                   INTIDS=Y  UNKNIDS=Y
      ROUT=(1-2,9)

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
01/06/2011 04:27 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ZOS Guest Console Not Working

On Thursday, 01/06/2011 at 04:13 EST, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:

> 'cp sleep 5 sec'

Gag.  Sleep?  Is there something asynchronous happening that you need to
wait for?

> "CP DET 01E""CP DEF CON 440 3270""CP SET MACH ESA""CP I" ADDRESS
"LOADPARM
> ||SYSNAME||"M"

You could help yourself a bit by
1. Changing the CONSOLE statement in the directory to use 440 instead of
01E since CMS doesn't care what address you use.  Then you can get rid of
DETACH and DEFINE.
2. Getting rid of SET MACHINE ESA as you already have MACHINE ESA in the
directory.

> 'cp sleep 1 MIN'

This last SLEEP will never be issued because the preceding IPL will blow
away CMS and the exec.  An appropriate comment in your PROFILE would be
good.  :-)

> We are, however, using CF:
>
> The only SPECIALs in the z/OS guest are:
>
> SPECIAL 420 MSGP CFSRV04
> SPECIAL 424 MSGP CFSRV01
> SPECIAL 428 MSGP CFSRV05

If you want multiple z/OS consoles, you could add SPECIAL nnn 3270
entries.  Just make sure that MVS is configured to require authentication
on its consoles since anyone can DIAL MVSGUEST.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices