An operating system, be in z/VM or z/OS, will always try to drive the CPU
100%.

This is goodness.

So looking at max CPU will never tell you anything about CPU capacity, it
is an almost meaningless metric which can be at best very deceptive, a
common, innocent mistake and misconception.

What is needed is the Saturation Data Point (SDP), which is calculated as
the HIST average CPU peaks divided by the HISTaverage CPU average.

The operative word here is HISTORICAL, 6 months at least.

This will give you the peak-to- average ratio:  2:1, 3:2, or whatever.  It
depends on the nature of the workloads, their variability.

It differs for every shop.

Once you know the peak-to-average ratio all we need do at any given point
in time is look at the average instead of the peak and that will tell us
if we have reached the SDP and need more CPU.

To illustrate:

Let's say the CPU is pegged at 100% and averages 60%, though you ignore
the average as unimportant.  thinking you're configuring for the peak, not
the average.

Let's also say that your historical peak to average ratio is 2:1, though
you do not know that or consider it important at the time.

So the CIO orders a CPU upgrade, paying millions in TPV software charges
for the upgrade.

After the upgrade, the CIO looks at the CPU and sees it is maxing now at
60% and he is ecstatic because he thinks he has 40% CPU headroom and with
about 5-10% annual CPU growth he has at least a 3 - 5 year life in the
configuration.

6 months later, the batch window is expanding, batch is backing up,
response time is degrading, CPU is maxing at 100% and the CIO wants to
know what happened.

With a 2:1 peak to average ratio, when the CPU maxes at:

60%, it averages 30%.
100% it averages 50%.
120% it averages 60%

So the headroom, initially, was not 40% (100%-60%) as the CIO thought, but
only 20% (50%-30%) which got absorbed in 6 months

But why so quickly?  Why 20% in only 6 months?

Remember before the upgrade the average CPU was 60%.

That means the maximum CPU was really 120% not 100% and there was 20%
latent demand.  Machines do not report much more than 100% CPU.  Another
reason not to be mislead by max CPU.

So between the 5 - 10 % normal CPU growth and the impact of the 20% latent
demand, the config really had a life of only 6 months.

True  we should always configure for the peaks, not averages, but it is
only the average that will ever tell us when we are out of CPU once we
know the historical peak-to-average ratio.

R.J. Wicks, IBM, has written a classic manual on this:  Balanced Systems
and Capacity Planning, GG22-9299  (119 pages)

Berry van Sleeuwen <berry.vansleeu...@xs4all.nl>
03/02/2011 07:05 PM
Please respond to
IBMVM <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Capacity Monitoring question

Hi Nick,

We monitor VM on page usage and page IO, our guest on VM for Queue and
storage usage (main, xstor and swap). Also we monitor guest CPU usage
and metrics like the limit list. Linux memory is always at 100% so no
sense in monitoring over there but we do monitor swap usage. Linux CPU
gives bad numbers to start with (yes even on current kernel levels they
are still wrong) so don't monitor CPU on the guests.

Actually, 100% CPU is not a bad thing at all. Where most OS-ses become
less responsive above 90% z/VM will still give you good response even at
high numbers. We like to have it above 90%. Obviously you would need
some capacity for new guests. So when you are running 100% CPU all the
time there can be a case for an additional IFL. But also look at the
guests, determine if they are running processes you don't need or that
hurt overal performance. Watch your linux guests on responsetimes and
batch runtimes. Set a good relative share and if that doesn't help you
could consider adding IFL's.

Keep VM paging below 50%, add paging DASD when needed. We have a VM that
is overcommitted to 9:1. Our production Linux VM is at 2:1 with room to
spare. Expect even high page IO rates, 1000's IO/sec don't have to be
bad. Keep an eye on guests that are competing for storage. Especially
on the guest first (eliminate processes, reduce memory sizes etc).

Make sure the guests don't stay in Q3. It will hurt other servers. So
eliminate unused processes, don't use pings or other keep alive tooling.
Be aware that most regular linux tooling keeps the guest active.
Obviously when you are running batch the guest will stay in Q3 but then
it's in there for a reason.

Some of these issues are also covered in the linux-390 list
(http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390). Take a look over
there also.

Regards, Berry.

Op 02-03-11 23:28, Nick Warren schreef:
> Hi Tony, Thanks for the response.
>
> I probably didn't ask the question(s) very well.  I'm working with a
customer that has no capacity plan regarding the use of z/VM as a linux
host.  We're seeing both CPU and Memory usage on the z/VM side increasing.
 Performance on the linux guests is acceptable at this time.

> Aside from waiting for the linux users to start complaining - what
metrics and thresholds should I be tracking as early predictors of
capacity problems?

> Obviously if CPU usage is constantly 100% that's probably not good.  I'm
currently watching CPU, IOWait and Stolen time but wonder if those are
sufficient.  Any suggestion as what a good maximum number is?

> Memory is a larger concern - In a previous life as a mvs sysprog I would
watch paging/swapping and delay times among others.  Are there any rules
of thumb regarding paging or swapping in z/VM?  Is there something better
that paging/swapping for capacity prediction?

--------------------------->
------------------------> <----
>> Current -----> <-Average Running-> Nr of
>> Userid  CPUs TotCPU  User Kernel  Nice   IRQ SoftIRQ IOWait  Idle
Stolen Runabl

.
>> .     .     .     .     .     .     .
>>
>>            <------------ Memory Allocation (MB) -------------> <-------
Swapping
>> -------> <--- Pages/s ---> <-BlockIO->
>> Linux     <--- Main ---> <--- High --->        Buffers  Cache <-Space
(MB)->
>> <-Pgs/sec->  Allo <-Faults--> <--kB/sec-> Nr of
>> Userid  M_Total %MUsed H_Total %HUsed Shared /CaFree   Used S_Total
%SUsed
>> In   Out cates Major Minor  Read Write Users
>>
>>> System<     3516   98.2      .0     .0     .0   240.7   1855    1744
.1
>>> .000  .000 331.1  .000 916.1 43.57 37.53     4
>>>
>> DLVOMG01     2007   98.1      .0     .0     .0   225.7   1495   256.0
.0
>> .000  .000 103.1  .000 229.5 55.16 18.51
>>
>>  Regards,
>> Tony

HPUX,