Where there are many reasons why you might want a second IP stack, if the only
reason is to have a back door TN3270 session, then try using the ICC port.  (An
OSA port configured for ICC.)  These are always up and you can TN3270 into
them, get a VM logo (in the VM world), and fix what ever problems that messed
up the stack.

An OSA port configured for ICC, has its own IP stack running in firmware.  You
can't touch it.  You can only configure it.  Once configured, it's hard to mess
up.  Certainly, you will never mess it up by changing the configuration on you
IP stack (unless you try to assign the same IP address <G>.  But even if you do
configure the same IP address, the first one up (the ICC) wins.)

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Jeff Gribbin<jeff.grib...@gmail.com> 3/5/2011 10:07 AM >>>
Greetings,
I may be a, 'VM-Oldie' but I'm most certainly a, 'TCP/IP Newbie' and, true
to form, I'm already wishing to push the envelope a little ...

I'm helping to maintain a not-very-busy z/VM system which is pretty-much
starting from scratch and currently has no asociated SLA's or the such to
worry about.  It's not quite a sandpit, but pretty close.  I access the
system via TN3270 and, in order to allow me to perform surgery on the main
TCP/IP stack (bog-standard vanilla configuration, straight out of the box),
I'm looking to place a second IP stack alongside the primary stack that will
give me at-least a TN3270, 'back door' into the system.

My, 'problem' is TCPIP DATA, which appears to be a unique filename.  'TCP/IP
Planning and Customization' states quite categorically that TCPIP DATA
defines parameters used by TCPIP -client- applications.  If this is truly
the case then it would seem that all I need in order to implement a second
stack purely for TN3270 purposes is to create appropriate '<userid>
DTCPARMS' and '<userid> TCPIP' files on TCPMAINT's 0198 and I'm away.

Would I be correct in thinking that TCPIP DATA is, 'merely' read by the,
'client' commands in order (e.g.) to locate the servers that they need to
interact with. If this is so, would it be acceptable practise (that is,
behaviour that would not bring the Wrath of Chuckie upon me) to keep a
second copy of TCPIP DATA, configured according to the userid(s) of the
second stack, on a separate minidisk and access that minidisk in front of
TCPMAINT's 592 when wishing to, 'converse' with the second stack? (For
example, in order to issue a NETSTAT command without needing to specify the,
'TCP' option every time.)

I can, of course, discover most of this empirically for myself - and will
indeed be experimenting a little (what else to do on a wet Saturday
afternoon?) - but if for no other reason that the Fear of Chuckie I would be
reassured if somebody with more experience were willing to sanity-check my
hypothesis and proposed, 'solution'.

Thanks
Jeff