An OSAICC present itself to the outside world as a 3270 TELNET server.  To
the host it looks as LOCAL 3270's, with indeed 4-digt addresses like
D000->D0CF

The customisation defines with what address a TELNET client is present to
the host.  In PCOMM, the TELNET end-user one defines as part of its
connection defintions not only the IP address of the OSA ICC, but also a
LUNAME
There are two choises

   - a LU Name can correspond to a single 4 digit address.  If a client is
   already connected, others must select an other LUname
   - a LU Name can correspond to a list of addresses (then termed "POOL
   Name"),

Often one predefines some single address LU names, to connect operator
consoles etc. So soem workstations present themselves to the host at
well-known 4-digits addresses.  At least one pool is then defined for
everyone else.
Another practice I often see is that one changes the PORT number of the OSA
ICC from 23 for example 1000 or 3270, or ... So it is a bit hidden from the
public, only the "intimates" can then use the (limited number of) sessions
an OSA ICC provides.  This defintion all happens via the HCM, you select the
channels of the CPC and then "channel Advanced facilities".

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support