Hi Tom,

I have seen it happen, both planned and unplanned. IIRC I did post a question on this here or in the linux-390 list, some years ago.

We have shutdown guests through a signal, and sometime still do. And we have had an unplanned outage because someone at our HMC stopped the LPAR (don't know in detail what they've done). After starting the LPAR again we noticed a SIGNAL had forced VM down. SFS was shutdown through a signal, all others obviously were forced during VM shutdown. O, this was back at zVM 4.4 so it's there for some while now.

We have tried to setup a good solution for shutting down VM and it's 2nd level systems (linux, VM, VSE) but there are some risks. You should ensure the guest will indeed correctly shutdown within the set time. Either have a good automatic shutdown procedure triggered by the signal or set the timeout to a high number. At VM you should trap the signal to run a shutdown procedure for services that do not trap a signal, on VSE you have to trap the signal and script a shutdown, a linux guest traps the signal as an CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Regards, Berry.