I have seen similar shutdown situations here - no doc regarding why the
system went down, just guesswork.

Our old z800 system running z/VM 5.4.0 was properly SHUTDOWN REIPLed
Sunday evening and responds now with:
cp q shutdowntime
System shutdown time: 30 seconds; previous shutdown duration: 13 seconds

The z10 running a different z/VM 5.4.0 system was DEACTIVATED from the HMC
(ignoring documented procedures) last Saturday as part of some hardware
changes, is responds now with:
cp q shutdowntime
System shutdown time: 90 seconds

Note that 90 seconds was allowed (since changed to 300 seconds), but none
was listed as "previous shutdown duration".  That "previous shutdown
duration" is documented as being reported "only if the system has been
restarted after a system failure or restarted via a SHUTDOWN REIPL
command."

Couldn't an HMC DEACTIVATION be considered a "system failure", or is
"system failure" meant as a CP ABEND causing such a failure so that CP can
determine the "previous shutdown duration"?

Regardless, it would sure be nice if CP would issue a timestamped message
to the OPERATOR console when an HMC DEACTIVATE (or any other
hardware-inspired shutdown) was occurring explaining what's happening (and
perhaps displaying the total current SHUTDOWNTIME value).  If z/VM is
responding to a SIGNAL SHUTDOWN from the hardware, it should still be up
far enough to issue some sort of clarifying message.  At least we'd know
why there was no proper CP SHUTDOWN command, and can address that with
(yet more) training.  All we have now is a shrug of the shoulders and a
'gee, I don't know, someone else was on that shift'.

Kevin wrote:
> What does QUERY SHUTDOWNTIME indicate as the amount of time reserved for
the control program to shut down?  If this value equals or exceeds the
time out indicated from the hardware, then CP will begin shutting down
immediately upon receiving the shutdown signal, as it believes it doesn't
have enough time to allow guests to shut down and cleanly shut down CP.

How do we determine the "time out indicated by the hardware"?  Or
better... how do we increase the time out indicated by the hardware?  I
understand that a true hardware **failure** may prevent a delayed
shutdown, but a DEACTIVATE can usually wait a "little while"... regardless
of how anxious the CE might be to get started while his soldering iron
warms up!   ;-)~

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Tom Huegel" <tehue...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
05/24/2011 04:21 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM shutdown

Marcy - For me 4 to 5 minutes would be plenty of time.. but it appears I
get 0 .. Of course I would normally do a normal z/VM SHUTDOWN .. but bleep
happens, I am just trying to be proactive..

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Marcy Cortes <
marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
You don?t get the full time if done from the HW.
4-5 minutes ? somewhere around there I believe is what you get.
Could that be what you saw?
It?s not enough to get all of our severs down so we always take them down
outside of the HW/GDPS deactivate.

Marcy