On Friday, 06/03/2011 at 11:30 EDT, gclo...@br.ibm.com wrote:
> A millennium ago (before year 2000) I ear that DEDICATE dasd have better

> performance, maybe due no need to translate CCW. But, I change all my
> definitions when DEVNO was introduced: gain in flexibility, enabling
dasd
> sharing for full packs without need to any Attach (when not in use, dasd

> remains FREE, isolated from CMS). And no performance problems.
> My question: nowadays, the performance still is a factor to use DEDICATE
versus
> MDISK DEVNO?

Back when we had native mode on the machines (no LPAR), dedicated devices
were eligible for I/O Assist in V=R and V=F guests.   That's all gone.

Today, a dedicated device:
- Does not have CCW command word validity checks
- Does not use minidisk cache
- Can be attached to only one user at a time (subject only to gaming of
the IOCDS)
- Is not subject to ESM security controls
- (I think) does not have a CCW chain broken by CP in some circumstances
(working allegiance is maintained by default)

As to whether that will affect performance in any meaningful way depends
entirely on the I/O workload.  But I don't think I'd use performance as my
primary criteria.  I'd probably start with DEVNO and then see if I have
any issues that DEDICATE would solve.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training