On Thursday, 06/09/2011 at 10:12 EDT, David Booher
<david.boo...@quest.com> wrote:
> Am I understanding correctly that the CFUSER virtual machines that you
can run
> when z/VM is running natively and now be run in zVM when running in an
LPAR?
> This was added in zVM 5.4?

There has never been a restriction on using virtual coupling in an LPAR.
The only thing that is required is that the machine be licensed for
Coupling Facility, which, IIRC, is demonstrated by the presence of at
least one coupling link on the box.  (But that may have changed over the
years....)  If the machine is not licensed for CF, then virtual CF cannot
be used.

What IS relatively new is that if you are running in a z/VM mode LPAR,
then you can have real CF engines in the z/VM LPAR and virtual CFs will be
dispatched on real CFs.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training