Jeff Gribbin writes:
> INSTDVD runs and happily loads up the system minidisks, exactly as per th
> manual until it gets to the end of the, 'base' system load.  At this poin
> t,
> it issues MSG
>
> HCPIRU8484R PLEASE PLACE THE SYSTEM RSU DVD IN THE DRIVE, THEN TYPE GO TO
>
> CONTINUE OR TYPE EXIT TO QUIT.
>
> This message is <ahem> 'unexpected' - the manual indicates that it should
>
> only be issued if installing from a DVD drive and it also indicates that
> reply of, 'EXIT' will cause the installation NOT to complete.

Hi Jeff,
I've found it helpful to think of what the manual refers to as
"DVD Installation" as "Installation using the files on the DVD media".
That helps me remember that what matters to the installation is the
actual files rather than spinning disk whether they are fetched from
the DVD in the HMC, files on a z/VM FTPSERVE, files on a local Linux
guest's ftp server, files from a remote ftp server or even files put
onto a local CMS minidisks and made visible at next-level (with that
last one being the only one I haven't tried myself).

> Reviewing the manual I noted that on Page 98, in the summary box, it says
>
> that in this step I will, 'Upload the contents of the z/VM System DVD and
>
> the RSU DVD to an FTP Server directory' ... but I have found no instructi
> ons
> or procedure that actually does anything with the RSU DVD.

Did you see/do the top of page 70:

    If installing from a:
    FTP server directory, upload the contents of both the z/VM system
    DVD and the RSU DVD to a new directory on the FTP server.
    Upload the contents of each DVD to the directory. After the
    contents of the z/VM system DVD have been uploaded, upload the
    contents of the RSU DVD to the same directory, overwriting any
    duplicate flies.

That's the part that tells you the vital information that the
files from the first DVD and the RSU DVD must be combined and that
it's the files from the RSU DVD which can (and must) overwrite any
original one shipped by the first DVD.

> (1) Has anyone actually installed z/VM 5.4 using an FTP Server directory?

Yup, many times.

> -and-
> (2) Have you ever done it using non-offset-0 minidisks?

Yup, multiple times. Shouldn't cause any problems at all. Just so
long is there's enough room on the resulting minidisks to fit a
"whole mod-3 minus a few cylinders" or "whole mod-9 minus a few
cylinders". I forget the exact number (there's a table in one of
the manuals) but I'm pretty sure the installation lets you shave
more than one cylinder from a whole mod3 or mod9--i.e. it doesn't
use, need or care about the last 2-3 cyls on the volumes you give it.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe