On Friday, 06/10/2011 at 07:51 EDT, Malcolm Beattie <beatt...@uk.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > (2) Have you ever done it using non-offset-0 minidisks?
>
> Yup, multiple times. Shouldn't cause any problems at all. Just so
> long is there's enough room on the resulting minidisks to fit a
> "whole mod-3 minus a few cylinders" or "whole mod-9 minus a few
> cylinders". I forget the exact number (there's a table in one of
> the manuals) but I'm pretty sure the installation lets you shave
> more than one cylinder from a whole mod3 or mod9--i.e. it doesn't
> use, need or care about the last 2-3 cyls on the volumes you give it.

The system layout is explicitly designed to occupy no more than n-1 cyls.
This was done to accommodate non-fullpack minidisk installation.  Hmmm...
this isn't made clear in the Program Directory.

A simple FLASHCOPY with relocation will take care of getting it
production-ready in, um, a flash.   As it were.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices