Wolfgang,

That certainly helps!
Counting the number of lines, I see that your OPERATOR goes into HOLDING at the
30th displayed line:
  17:19:36 HCPIOP952I 0064M system storage

Meanwhile, our OPERATOR continues on without HOLDING where the 36th message at
logon (last night) was:
  20:27:39 HCPIOP952I 15488M system storage

I'm guessing that on your system, the OPERATOR virtual machine had logged on,
but there was a timing "race" between the IPL messages being issued, and
OPERATOR's "COMMAND" statement being processed as the virtual machine was being
built and connected.

But then why does our OPERATOR consistently IPL (every week) without dropping
into HOLDING?

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is because we being up OPERATOR on a model 4 terminal
(42 lines x 80 wide).  That may be permitting the 36+ lines to display before
the PROFILE EXEC on our OPERATOR execute the command:
  'CP TERMINAL MORE 15 0 HOLD OFF'
Note: that is not present in the directory as a COMMAND statement.  Our
OPERATOR's directory COMMAND statements contain only:
  COMMAND SPOOL CONSOLE * CLASS C START NAME OPERATOR CONSOLE
  COMMAND SET SYSOPER *

Can you try again with a model 4 terminal for OPERATOR?  There may be other
ways to resolve this, but again, it can't hurt until a better solution is
devised.

It might be worth opening a PMR with IBM requesting a means in SYSTEM CONFIG to
force the IPL console into "TERMINAL HOLD OFF MORE n n" immediately, even
before OPERATOR logs on.

Could this be a 2nd level system?  That could present a whole different set of
circumstances.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.