From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jeff Gribbin
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:21 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: HCPDPM1280E with STK 9840C Tape Drive

In February 2007, Chris Little reported receiving the message

HCPDPM1280E Device 0181 not usable; assign lost

while attempting to write to a tape cartridge loaded into a STK 9840C tape
drive.

As far as I can see, no resolution was posted at the time.

I am experiencing exactly these symptoms with the same device-type.  The
device has been in regular use on several z/OS LPARS on the same machine
without any problems but we have never previously attempted to use it from
the z/VM LPAR.

After being taken offline to the z/OS LPARS the device happily comes online
to z/VM and can be attached to a CMS user who can successfully read the tape
(well, TAPE DVOL1 works) but any attempt to write to the tape immediately
elecits a brief delay (about 5 seconds) followed by the HCP1280E.  (I have
tried MOVEFILE and TAPE DUMP - identical symptoms in both cases.) The
cartridge has been double-checked and is definitely set for write-permit.

I'm hoping that maybe somebody did discover a resolution but for whatever
reason it either didn't get posted or I've been looking in the wrong place!

Thoughts, anybody?

TIA
Jeff Gribbin