From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jeff Gribbin
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 9:01 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: HCPDPM1280E with STK 9840C Tape Drive

Success (of a kind):

Rewind the tape
TAPE MODESET ( 3590C
TAPE WVOL1 volser
REW 181
TAPE FSF

<Write whatever I like on the tape without problems>

If I attempt to write anything other than the volume label (using TAPE WVOL1)
at the beginning of the tape then the write fails.

My tape operator has now gone home for the weekend, so further experimentation
will have to keep until Monday. My plan is to try to repeat the above but with
'TAPE MODESET ( 3590B' - just to see what happens.

Also, hopefully, we'll be able to get firmware levels checked later in the week.

Teatime methinks!
Have a good weekend folks.

Jeff