Anne:
I worked  with Disaster Recovery for about 10 years.
Some observations: "Real" DR are different than "Test" DR: the major
factor is Time. On a real disaster you don't have time to think, to plan,
to execute... And have a  lot of persons making "pressure"...
So, the tip is: use the maximum of automation possible.
If you have a MVS at the DR site, explore it.
From my experience, restore page volumes from tape is faster than format
them. You can run several restore Jobs in parallel.
To be faster, you can start with a one Page volume and one spool volume,
(according to Rick's suggestion: a small spool volume with only the SDF)
After the VM IPL, you can add page/spool volumes on fly.
Working with tapes, one VM can be live in less than 10 minutes, and you
will got time to do the adjusts latter.
Good luck,
Clovis