From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mike Walter
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:26 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/vm page packs at DR

NSSes (e.g. CMS, CMSFILES, CMSPIPES, and may more) can easily be backed up
using SPXTAPE to write them to tape (preferably every night).
Thus the restore at DR is pretty simple (as long as you are very careful to
send a copy of the tapes off-site, along with a hardcopy listing of which NSS
tape volsers were created on which date).

Back when we conducted offsite DR tests, we did just that.  The SPOOL volumes
at D.R. were created by an EXEC that would autolog a string of userids that had
just been added by another EXEC to the DR floor system’s directory.  Those
autologs permitted concurrent formatting of many DASD,  Each autologed ID
(conveniently named ‘-volser-‘ where the ‘volser’ was the volume serial number
of the volume to be formatted), would format its specific SPOOL, PAGE, or TDISK
volume (naturally, just cylinder zero of TDISK vols).  A follow-up step
instructed how to restore the NSSes from the SPXTAPE backup.

A cleanup exec at the end of the D.R. test would carefully delete the ID’s we
had added to the floor system’s directory, along with any EXECs and control
files that we had added.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.