On 9/7/07, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Icelandics with Pasos and other gaited breeds?  Is it all only temperament?
>

> This is very vague, Virginia, and I don't know how to clarify it...but I've
> never seen such an "old soul" nature, even spirituality maybe, in any breed
> as with Icelandic's.  I'm not prone to say that sort of thing, and I can't
> precisely define it, but there's something there that touches my heart.
> Cary has never verbalized it, but I think he feels it too.  Weird, huh?

This is what I found personally when I was looking at gaited horses:
I did not care for the foxtrot, and I didn't like any of the MFTs I
looked at.  I felt that the Pasos I looked at were very aloof, and at
the time I wanted a bigger horse. Rockies were too expensive. So I
settled on a TWH.  When I started looking into a new gaited horse
several years ago, another TWH was out b/c I felt that there was too
much variation within the breed--they have been bred by everyone and
his brother, gotten too popular, too much "junk" within the breed. I
also felt that it would be difficult to find an ethical breeder around
my area.  I took another look at Icelandics, liked the size, rode one
and liked the tolt. I felt that since they aren't as popular as the
TWH, there would be a better chance of finding a quality breeder.
Maybe I'm off the mark w/ that particular comment, but I'm very happy
w/ the colt I have, and I liked the breeder very much.  Shadow is
sound, healthy, of good quality, and has a good temperament. If I got
another horse there would be no question that it would be another
Icelandic. Even my husband likes them better and he isn't even a horse
person!  I love my TWH and we have a great bond, but I wouldn't get
another.

Robyn S