--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda Lauscher"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> when you were feeling the most alienated, was it during a time you
were holding some of your previous beliefs to be true?

-----------------It probably was.  But I think it was also when I
pointed out how the posts often turned to bashing a particular person
and then I would start getting bashed because of it.  I think there's
a very clear difference between educating people with information and
making inflammatory comments that have no basis in education and are
intended to either anger the other person or vent anger or
frustration.

> In my experience, that's when I've been the most defensive...Though
during those periods I was often very quiet on the list and did a lot
of research and reading on my own.

-----------------And I think you have a very kind, compassionate
personality too.  You seem to treat others with respect and
kindness.  I can't ever think of a time when you became defensive.  I
also do a whole lot of reading when I question something.  But I
think I tend to ask more short questions on the lists when this is
the case.  Maybe it comes across as being terse, or argumentative,
I'm really not sure???

> I remember a time when those awful WC pics were defended and
thought of as a "bad moment in time"...  At the time I was trying to
remain open minded and give as much benefit of the doubt as I
possibly could. But when this was presented time and time again as
something to strive for I lost my patience for such things.

------------------Yeah, I feel the same way.  That being said, I
still believe that ANYONE can have a photo taken that is a bad moment
in time, even the best, most gentle trainers using the most gentle
methods of training.  But when we see the the horse in clear
discomfort again and again, there's no mistaking the severity of the
tack and/or riding.  I still strongly feel that we should be talking
more education - about what is physically happening to the horse
because of the tack and harsh riding, and what could be used/employed
differently that would be better.  I think that will hit home more
than just saying "Joe Rider is a bad, bad man who is mean to his
horses!".  I think understanding WHY it's bad for the horse is a
better way that will avoid the alienation and perhaps allow that
rider to understand what he is doing to his horse.  If the
conversation dissolves into slander, that rider will most likely
write off that person and what she (he) stands for.  And even worse,
the rider will unfortunately likely feel the need to defend himself
and lash out at the poster.  Not productive for anyone, mainly the
horse.

> I have to say that never in my experience have I ever felt on iota
of ridicule for the average Joe Schlepp who is just tring to keep
his/her horse healthy and sound and develop a partnership.  It's only
the professional riders and trainers that I've got an issue with.

------------------Here's the thing - I've taken lessons and clinics
with many, many folks over the years, "natural
horseman", "traditional Icelandic trainers", and "gentle trainers".
In all reality, I have seen some of the "natural horseman" treat
horses HORRIBLY with no regard to tack and or physical issues clearly
causing pain.  I've had "traditional Icelandic trainers" show the
most compassion and understanding of how the horse was feeling.  And
I've had "gentle trainers" ask me to sit in a chair position with
hands held high for gait.  Each trainer/rider has something to offer
that can help, and each have things that are absolutely of no help.
>From my own experiences, I have seen more kind, compassionate
training (NOT in a show environment) from the "traditional Icelandic
Horse trainers" than I have from the "natural horse trainers".
Unfortunately, these same trainers also have a tendancy ride harshly
when in a show type of environment ("do as I say, not as I do").  And
those "natural horse trainers" and "gentle trainers" have videos that
show them being so gentle with their well trained horses who've
they've had for many, many years in a non-show environment.  I guess
how I feel is that not everything we see or hear gives us the whole
picture.  I don't think it's fair to bash a *person* based upon a
photo and only going by hearsay.  I think that bad tack and/or how
the person is riding absolutely SHOULD be addressed and explained as
to WHY it's bad!!!  THAT would help the cause on so many levels.

I am deliberately NOT giving names of trainers because I have no
desire to bash any particular person.  I just want to explain what
I've personally seen to help clarify where I'm coming from.

Dawn Bruin-Slot, northern Michigan
Fuzzy Logic Equine