here is a video of Susie, can't remember her last name, in an actual
speed racking competition.  I have seen her race several times and
never seen her lose and she was always on a different horse, but all
her horses are genetically related.  But notice how close the gait is
to a pace, and how the horse has to stretch out to speed rack and if
held in it would alter that I'm sure.  I love the way she has to lean
way out to the side to keep balance as the horse banks into turns :)
Also she never seems to have the horse held in real tight.
Janice

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/511196/speed_racking_horse_skips_fancy_pants/

--
yipie tie yie yo