>>> being new to Icelandics I am trying to follow some of the videos, though
it is almost exhausting as we are on dial up.

Welcome to the list, Monica!

pace. The pace is a bilateral gait, two beat. Is the toelt not the same as a
rack,a four beat gait, just different wording for a different breed? So when
I watch this video, I see a foot hitting the ground not at the same time as
the other foot on the same side, to me that looks more like a rack/toelt
than a pace?

Yep, in a way you're right.  The flying pace isn't a pure two beat pace
though - more of a broken pace, which sort of makes it between a pace and a
rack.  In footfalls, it's about the same as stepping-pace, just much faster.
So, since the gait is between pace and rack, and not exactly either, some
breeds call it "speed rack" while in Icelandic terminology, it's "flying
pace."  Flying pace/speed rack is a four-beat gait - but it's not an even
four beat gait, like a true rack.  Does that help?   You're on the right
track, very close.

Do you have Lee Ziegler's book, Easy-Gaited Horses?  It's a tremendous
resource, and only about $14 or so at amazon.com.  It's money well spent - I
use mine all the time.

Karen
Karen Thomas