--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy  Sturm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> owned Icelandics since last Januray.  However, I do own an off-track
> Standardbred who paced at the track.  He has learned to trot at
least part
> of the time, but his hard race track pace is a very unpleasant gait
to ride.

My Stbd raced two years, never won. Had him now for eight years.He has
a great trot! And an awful pace, usually out of the canter when he
can't get the canter together properly. I have ridden other Stbds with
a smooth pace though.

>  We
> can't seem to find the right job for him.  His role in our lives may
simply
> to make us smile.

Mine can have a nasty attitude at times towards other horses, but we
all love him dearly. I have done some CTR with him, my daughter has
jumped him and I drive and trail ride him mostly now. He is amazingly
athletic and sure footed on trails; and when I went out with my mother
on a trail ride trying out Icelandics, she kept telling me how great
and wonderful they are ( she is the one that really wanted one, I had
never been exposed to them before).All I could say was that I have one
at home in the barn that can do all that!.

Long story short, we bought two Icelandics,  3.5 years old, a gelding
and a mare. Just doing ground work and longlining with them, but will
start training them next spring. I do have to say they are really
sweet and I am enjoying having them, just wish my big horses would be
a bit kinder to them - I still have to keep them  apart in paddocks
with space between them. Hopefully some day they can all be one big
happy family.

Monica Lamothe
Ontario