>>>You did a beautiful job.  Your lines are so straight.

Thanks.  They aren't exactly straight, but I am getting better.  The first
couple of years I did it, they were wearing the infamous Patchwork cut - it
wasn't pretty at all!  That this job isn't a total embarrassment should
serve as encouragement to all.  I was HORRIBLE at first.


>>> I have to do something like that to Nanna soon, but, first she has to
get desensitized to the clippers.


I've found mine do better if they are loose when I clip them, even though
that seems counter-intuitive.  Most horses don't like that trapped feeling
of being tied if they aren't comfortable with something, and being tied
can't make them panicky.   At the beginning, I do some "approach and
retreat" with the clippers running on low speed - but only after I've let
them smell the clippers not running.  And I do some "chase the clippers"
with the clippers not running.  They don't literally "chase" the clippers,
but I encourage them to follow me to get a treat from the same hand that's
holding the clippers.  Then when they are reasonably comfortable, I put the
horse in a stall with a halter on, but no leadline.  I have a pile of hay in
the middle of the floor.  I let them walk away when they feel too
overwhelmed at first, but by that point, they aren't in a panic - Melnir IS
very ticklish about his flanks, so I let him walk away for a few seconds
when he needs to "compose himself."  They were all very good yesterday, very
quiet and cooperative.  After I thought about it, I realized it was the
first time Melnir had ever been clipped, so he didn't get a lot of
desensitizing.  He was a good boy too.   I didn't have any help either, so
that tells you how good they were.


And, you really can get a better clip if they are clean.  They all got a
bath first and a light spray with Show Sheen, to make the clipper blades
slide easily.  I have the big old Oster Clipmasters.  They are heavy, but
once you get the hang of it, you can really clip them quickly.


Karen Thomas, NC




Reply via email to