>>> That sounds good.  How do I know when to move the fencing?  Would
fencing off an acre at a time be OK or would it be too small?

We rarely move fences - we move horses instead.  We put up good, solid
perimeter fence, and cross-fence off smaller areas.  The cross-fenced areas
have gates, so that we can constantly re-arrange the herds for grazing, etc.
But, once we put up the cross-fences, they usually stay up.

With as much land as you have, I'd think a couple of one-acre paddocks would
be nice to have, or maybe a half-acre and a full acre adjoining that could
be opened together, or closed as you see fit.  A couple of my paddocks are
even smaller, but I don't keep many horses in those areas, certainly not for
extended periods.  We have a couple of 1/4 acre paddocks, two at 1 acre, one
at 1.5 acres, and the remainder of our pastures are in 3-8 acre areas, which
can be opened and combined as we see fit.  (We also have tiny 15 feet x 30
feet paddocks attached to each of three stalls, but those are for emergency
type use only, for temporary convenience, or for visitors.  I really just
consider those as stall-extensions, not really what we're talking about
here.)  This wasn't exactly a long-range plan or anything though - it's just
what has evolved over the years and works pretty well for us.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:06 AM