Hi Virginia,

The new place is going to be so fun for you!

Personally I wouldn't mow the pasture. Curious how big is it?

I doubt two horses will do any noticeable damage to it. You're likely to
only see damage near the gate where they'll exuberantly peel-out throwing a
bit of dirt and sod.

Once your ground is frozen for the winter they won't do any damage to the
ground, likely not even right at the gate.

I am guessing you won't be able to move even steel tip electric fence poles
once the ground is frozen (unless it's really not all that cold where you'll
be). I know it is rare here that we can move a pole after the real freeze
hits.

The members from the south don't seem to have a grasp of just what real
frozen ground is!   ;o)

Your horses will enjoy the "chew-time" they'll get out on the pasture and it
will help keep them from chewing on your board fence, shelter, etc.

The roughage they'll get eating the dead grasses will also produce a lot of
heat that will keep them warm over the winter.

No matter what the weather is they will be happy to go out on the pasture
every day! :o)   I would only keep them in during very rare dangerously low
temperatures.

Cheryl

Sand Creek Icelandics
Icelandic Horses & Icelandic Sheepdogs