--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, Lorraine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have you ever been nervous because the last horse you
> owned was spooky?  How do you get over it????
>
>   Lorraine

Hello Lorraine,
Around Xmas 2 years ago, I fell off my Icelandic.  The horses had all
been in their stalls with no turnout for about a week and a half due
to a big snow storm.  So the first nice sunny day that the arena was
plowed, I showed up to ride my horse Blessi.  I paid no attention to
all the comments about the horses having lots of energy--really well
behaved horses bucking, a small pony kicking the Belgium horse, etc.
I paid no attention to any of this, saddled up my horse, got on him,
he took a few steps, and took off instantly at the first leg
pressure.  Being a beginning rider, I fell off the back.  However,
the ground was frozen.  I didn't break any bones but there was a lot
of soft tissue damage.  The pain was really bad and lasted for 6
months.  I couldn't sit, drive, or walk without pain.  My fear level
just went through the roof.  Everytime, I got on Blessi I would
breath fast, sometimes tremble, have almost a mini panic attack.

John Lyons wrote an excellent essay "But I am scared" which appears
in his book Private Lessons.  I really recommend the entire essay but
here is a quote (pg 167) "Here's the rule 'Ride where you can, not
where you can't' comes into play.  The rider should ask himself what
he can do with the horse and feel 100 percent safe.  That may be just
walking and trotting in the arena.  No problem.  That's the place to
start.  The rider should only walk and trot in the arena until he's
so bored, or so confident that he just naturally feels ready to make
a more adventuresome move.  The next step may be either a change of
location--say, to riding in an empty pasture--or it may involve more
speed in the same location.  Whatever the choice, the rider should
concentrate on gaining better control of the horse within boundaries
where he feels absolutely safe, only changing one parameter at a
time."

This advice has really helped me.  Some of the things I have done to
work on my fear issue are:

Let people know that I am a nervous rider.  People have been very
patient and supportive of me.  When I was really nervous, someone
would walk with me on the lanes around the stable.  Or people with
really steady horses would go on a trail ride with me and keep to a
nice steady walk.

Get a riding coach/buddy.  Sometimes when I was riding Blessi, I
would be doing something that might prevent him from relaxing
completely.  My riding coach/buddy would pinpoint that one thing such
as holding the reins too tight, too loose, sitting too tense, that
was preventing total horse relaxation.

Have a patient and supportive riding instructor.  My normal riding
instructor Svanny worked with me for months doing the basics and
repeating exercises to build a comfort level.

Go to some clinics.   I went to a Centered Riding Clinic at Icefarm
this year and learned so much.  It really helped to ride other horses
than Blessi in a different environment with really supportive
instructors--many thanks to Robyn, Christine, and Barbara.  One of
the best things I learned was the neutral pelvis riding position.  It
is a way of finding that best balance right over the center of the
horse.  When I get nervous, I get out of neutral position and then
start losing my balance.  When I lose my balance, I get more
nervous.  Getting back into neutral pelvis makes me feel a lot more
secure.

Check my horse's energy level.  When I first get my horse, I let him
loose in the arena.  Several times a year due to spring, cold break
in the weather, Blessi gets a case of the buckies.  By letting him
loose in the arena, he has the opportunity to show off and burn off
and toot off some energy.  I also lunge him if I feel the necessity--
I'm not sure how the group feels about lunging.  I try to only lunge
himat a slow trot to gauge energy level.  Blessi lets me know when
his energy level is right because he will start trotting with his
head low to the ground and he starts licking and chewing.  Sometimes
we lunge for 5 minutes because his energy level is just right and
sometimes for 10 or a little more if the energy level is higher than
I am comfortable with.

Work on ground exercises.  We used to do, and have started again, to
do ground exercises.  I have gotten a lot of them off the Iceryder
site--unwrap the pony, etc,--or just made stuff up like putting a
ball with a gyro and motor into a box so it scoots across the arena
by itself and letting Blessi get used to it.  The more I know how
Blessi reacts to stuff and the more he gets desensitized, the more
comfortable we both are.

Only do what I am comfortable doing.  We were doing a trail ride in
Leavenworth, WA.  Blessi is normally nice and dependable on the trail
but for some reason he wanted to tolt not walk and be in the lead. He
did slow down to a slow walk for the creek crossings.   I rode this
for about 10 minutes but he was hard to stop.  I was feeling good
about the experience--not nervous) but I did not want to do this for
the entire ride.  I dismounted and some people walked me and Blessi
back to the trail head.  During other rides, if another horse is
getting nervous or acting up, I will dismount (if practical) and walk
Blessi.  Or if we come across a new distraction (eg, riding through
industrial sprinklers during the winery ride), I will stop, dismount,
and lead him through the sprinklers for the first time.  Of course,
this is when the ground exercises and training for standing like a
stone at the mounting block really helps since I need something to
mount from and that may be a hillside, stone, or stump on the trail.

It has taken almost 2 years to come back from that fall and I still
have a little bit of fear everytime I get on the horse.  I had had
Blessi for over a year when I fell off and I had never asked him for
more than a walk.   However, with the help of friends, instructors,
some clinics, and lots of support, I am now trotting and tolting
Blessi.  Next month I am going to start cantering.

Good luck with the fear issue. I will probably work on this issue all
my life.
Regards, Pamela