go.  This is masked by the fact that they are so calm and peaceful when
working with them from the ground.

I really don't believe that is true, Laree.  I have no doubt that some
horses are innately more energetic than others, but I'm very skeptical that
there's a very wide range of energy levels in this breed.  The Icelandic
horses that I know that are noticeably quicker in their tempo are ones who
have been taught that's their default....And believe me, there are PLENTY of
inherently SLOW horses in this breed.  Sure, Skjoni has more "pep" (for lack
of a better word) than Trausti, but neither one is exactly a speed demon
when relaxed.  And when I use the word "pep", I'm speaking of a willingness
to go forward with enthusiasm that but with no nervousness/edginess/wariness
associated.  I'd even go so far as to say, initial training equal, there is
less range of inherent energy-levels in this breed than, say, within Arabs
or QH for instance.

The key is looking at a range of horses who've been trained the same.
Unfortunately, way too many Icelandic's have had some of the rushed type
speed-is-the-only-goal-training at some point in their lives, and it's very
hard to separate what they WANT to do, from what they have been trained to
believe they SHOULD do.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC